Auxiliary Cadet Corps raised by the British in 1930 at Srinagar. Aimed at recruiting youth to prevent spread of communism from Russia & China. Activities of the ACC extended through Gilgit, Skardu, Leh, Zanskar, Kashmir, Muzaffarabad and NW Frontier. ACC Cadets played a major role in British campaigns in the Northern Areas, guiding officers into Ladakh and Tibet Post Independence, NCC started in J&K in 1954 with one SD Unit and four JD Troops Controlled by No 7 Circle, New Delhi. J&K Directorate came into existence in 1960. The first Girls Wing was started in 1964. Post of Director was upgraded to Brigadier in 1982. Re-designated as DDG in 1985.